Higher education in Brazil for foreigners

Foreign student guideRegistrations were open for the announcement which will select nationals of developing countries with which Brazil maintains Educational Cooperation Agreements, to conduct graduate studies in higher education institutions in Brazil.

The announcement (edital) is part of the PROGRAMA DE ESTUDANTES CONVÊNIO DE GRADUAÇÃO (Students-Agreement Program Graduate (PEC-PG)) from the National Scientific and Technological Development Council (CNPq / MCTI) in order to provide educational cooperation activities with developing countries to contribute to the training of human resources.

The deadline for submission of bids this year was July 3rd, but the interested should keep an eye out for the requirements for next year. The PEC-PG is a partnership between the CNPq, the Higher Education Personnel Training Coordination (Capes / MCTI) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MRE) of Brazil.

Proposals must be sent to CNPq exclusively via the internet, through the website, where one can get full details on the edital.

The program offers higher education opportunities for citizens of developing countries with which Brazil maintains educational and cultural agreements, among them:
Africa, Asia and Oceania: South Africa, Angola, Algeria, Benin, Cape Verde, Cameroon,
China, Côte d’Ivoire, Egypt, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, India, Lebanon, Mali, Morocco,
Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Kenya, Republic of Congo, Republic
Democratic Republic of Congo, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Syria, Thailand, Tanzania, Timor
Leste, Togo, Tunisia.
Latin America and the Caribbean: Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Barbados, Bolivia, Chile,
Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, El Salvador, Ecuador, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras,
Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Dominican Republic, Suriname,
Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay, Venezuela.

Foreign students that have completed high school, aged 18 through 23 can participate.

At enrollment, interested students must submit, among other documents, the high school graduation proof, transcripts and Certificate of Proficiency in Portuguese Language for Foreigners (Celpe-Bras) if they do not come from Portuguese speaking countries. They must present financial liability waiver of U$D 400 per month to pay for the stay in the country.

If the applicant is in a country where the Celpe-Bras exam is not done, if selected, they will have to attend during the school year 2014, Portuguese language course for foreigners in the Brazilian institution to which they were appointed. And next year they should provide the Celpe-Bras certification.

The UFPE, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, has a webpage dedicated to information for foreigners interested in attending university in Brazil.

Hits: 1201
Joe Cloud
Dutch, American, Brazilian... lived there for 5 years and owns property in Brazil. Out of the country for a few years now and would like to go back, however current circumstances tell me it's not the right time.