Brazil won’t have completed the entire infrastructure to host the World Cup in 2014, but the country will be able to receive hundreds of thousands of visitors for the tournament, said on Tuesday the Brazilian Minister of Sports, Aldo Rebelo.
In London for the Olympics, Aldo said he is talking to sponsors and local organizers to ensure that indigenous peoples and the poor do not get left out of the Cup in a country that has won the tournament five times.
Brazil will host two major events in the sports world in an interval of two years: Rio de Janeiro will host the Olympics in 2016.
“We will do everything to ensure that people who come to the World Cup have a guarantee of safety, comfort, mobility within these 12 host cities,” Aldo told Reuters, speaking through an interpreter.
A report by the Ministry of Sports published on May, reported that 41 of 101 projects related to the World Cup have not yet left the drawing board. The concern is that airports, highways and other transit schemes will not cope with crowds.
Aldo said the French company Accor is investing $ 2.5 billion in construction of hotels in Brazil by 2015, adding that there will be room for all foreign and Brazilian fans in the host cities.
Communist who took office last year, he said the 20 Rio + Environmental Summit held recently in Rio de Janeiro showed that the city can handle large-scale events.
Despite its emergence as an economic power, Brazil remains a country where there is a wide gap between rich and poor.
Aldo countered criticism that some of the stadiums will turn into a white elephant after the tournament because they are in large cities without teams.